Meat pie is a yummy snack with lots of minced meat, carrot, and potato filling with a sweet flavor, the pastry is slightly crunchy and tastes delicious and you don’t want to miss it when offered.
I love Nigerian meat pie; either that of Mr. Biggs, Tantalizers, Sweet Sensations, TFC or KFC the truth is that I love them all and the way it melts in your mouth.
Also Read: https://besthomediet.com/fresh-donuts-how-to-make-nigerian-doughnuts-recipe/
However, I finally learned how to make this meat potato pie with carrot during the Gtbank food and drink festival I am like wow, it just so easy to make at home.
Moreover, this article is all about DIY homemade Nigerian meat and potato pie you will love and enjoy with members of your family; I mean the kids will always ask you to bake more each passing week.
How to make Nigerian Meat Pie
Ingredients for Dough
- 6 cups of flour (including extra for dusting)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 250g margarine
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup of Water (quantity needed to make dough)
- 1 egg for coating
- 2 kg minced meat
- 2 large carrots
- 1 medium-size onion
- 2 medium-size Irish potato
- 2 tablespoons flour (for thickener)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cooking spoons vegetable oil
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 1 cup of water
- Salt to taste
How to prepare Mr. Biggs meat pie Recipe
Nigerian meat pie filling
- The first step, peel the Irish potatoes, rinse and chop into cubes, after that, wash the carrots, scrape the back and also dice finely.
- Secondly, wash and slice the onion and set aside ready to be used.
- Thirdly, in a pot heat the vegetable oil, stir in the sliced onions and stir fry, thereafter, add the minced meat and continue to stir fry until the color changes at this point add water.
- Add in your seasoning cubes and thyme, though you can add any other spice of your choice, and bring to boiling before adding chopped potatoes and carrots cover and cook until soft.
- At this stage dissolve 2 spoons of flour with little water and pour into the meat pie filling and cook. This process helps keep it creamy, damp as it bakes without drying up, it equally hold the filling together.
- Taste and add salt, stir for 1 minute and remove from heat, set aside and allow cooling subsequently, move to the next stage of dough making.
Meat pie Dough
- In a bowl, pour in the flour add a pinch of salt and mix both ingredients together.
- Add your margarine and mix properly using both hands till you attain a crumbly texture, at this point start adding water little-by-little as you continue folding the mixture until dough is formed.
- Is time to knead the dough thoroughly before covering back in the bowl for about 10 minutes as it becomes stretchy dough.
- Break the egg in a small bowl and beat, after that, keep aside
- Grease the oven tray with margarine, and then preheat the oven at 160C. As the oven is heating up, return back to the dough.
- Sprinkle flour and knead the dough on a plain surface and roll it out using a rolling pin it shouldn’t be too flat, cut the meat pie using a cutter or a moderate bowl/plate and make a round cut out of the rolled out dough.
- Scoop 2-3 spoonful of meat pie filling at the center, use a cooking brush deep into the egg and brush out the tips and gently fold to close and use fork spoon to press the edges tightly completely sealed.
- Continue to roll out more dough, cut, fill and seal until all dough is exhausted.
- Finally, place all sealed meat pie on the greased oven tray and brush the top with whisked egg, transfer into the preheated oven then bake on medium heat for about 50-60 minutes till color turns golden brown.
Serve and enjoy healthy Nigerian meat pie!
Drinks to serve with
- Cold zobo drink
- Iced Tea and lemonade
- Chilled soft drink